Our dashboard gives users the opportunity to explore HFEA data and find statistics on their own areas of interest. This page explains how to use the dashboard effectively.
Accessing the dashboards
The HFEA dashboards may be accessed through the hyperlink below:
By using the HFEA dashboard, you agree to the terms of the HFEA Website and Social Media User Guidelines.
See below for:
- About the dashboard
- Dashboard data
- Planned updates and change log
- Frequently asked questions
- Contact us regarding this publication
- Accessibility and keyboard navigation
- Privacy notice
- Related links
About the dashboard
This video explains how to use the HFEA dashboard.
The HFEA dashboard is produced from data collected from licensed fertility clinics in the United Kingdom who, by law, must provide us with data on all fertility treatments and outcomes. We are committed to improving transparency and accessibility in the data we collect from clinics.
The HFEA dashboard is currently published as a beta version while the final product is finalised. Work is ongoing to ensure the clarity of statistics and to confirm that contents meet the requirements of users.
The dashboard pages contain information on:
- All cycles – Information on the number of treatment cycles and the number of patients, split by different treatment types.
- IVF and ICSI cycles – Information on the number of In Vitro Fertilisation (IVF) and Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI) cycles and live births.
- Donor insemination - Information on the number of Donor Inseminations (DI) cycles and live births.
- IVF birth and pregnancy rates – Information on IVF and ICSI birth and pregnancy rates per embryo transferred and per cycle.
- Sperm and egg donors – Information on the number of people becoming egg and sperm donors.
- Funding – Information on the number and percentage of NHS and privately funded treatments.
- Egg freeze and thaw – Information on the number of patients freezing and thawing eggs, and the average age when these cycles occur.
- Multiple births – Information on the multiple birth and multiple embryo transfer rate.
The HFEA dashboard uses the latest available HFEA data. The HFEA dashboard covers the period from 1991-2021 where data is available. Data for 1991 covers a partial year, starting in August 1991. The information that we publish is a snapshot of data provided to us by licensed clinics. The figures supplied in this report are from Register data as of 19 April 2023. Results are published according to the year in which the cycle was started. For further information, including limitations of the data, please see our Quality and Methodology report.
Treatment and pregnancy data for 2020-2021 and birth outcome data for 2019-2021 are preliminary. The HFEA has recently launched a new data submission system for licensed clinics and migrated our fertility treatment and outcomes data to a new database. This data migration has resulted in delays which has prevented the validation of the 2020-2021 treatment and pregnancy data and 2019-2021 birth outcome data. Data validation involves data quality checks that verify treatment, pregnancy, and birth outcome data.
To ensure patient confidentiality, values less than eight have been suppressed as zero, and all other values have been rounded to the nearest five. Rates and percentages have been suppressed where the numerator is less than eight or the denominator is less than 78. These percentages have been calculated using numerators and denominators rounded to the nearest five.
Planned updates and change log
Please find the list of planned changes below:
- Adding a DI birth rates page – Planned to accompany the publication of our annual Fertility treatment: trends and figures report in Spring/Summer 2024. This update will also integrate further surrogacy data within existing dashboard pages.
- Updating of preliminary treatment and pregnancy data from 2020-2021 and birth outcomes data from 2019-2021 – This will be performed following completion of a validation exercise with clinics to confirm data accuracy on our register, planned to be completed in Summer 2024.
- Adding data on reciprocal IVF (also known as shared motherhood) procedures and more detailed data on gender – We do not explicitly collect data on these subjects on our Register. We are working to produce estimate figures using indirect data we collect and plan to publish these estimates in updates to our dashboards along with an update to our Family formations in fertility treatment 2018 report in Autumn 2024.
|Date of update
|30th January 2024
|Formal launch of dashboard. Changes from provisional version as follows:
|13th December 2023
|Dashboard published in provisional form
Frequently asked questions
What is the definition of a patient and cycle?
A ‘patient’ refers to anyone who undergoes a ‘cycle’ of fertility treatment. ‘Cycle’ covers the range of reasons patients undergo fertility treatment: with the intention of becoming pregnant as soon as possible, fertility preservation, or with the intention of donating eggs or embryos.
Although there is no standard definition of an IVF cycle, we count a cycle as an embryo transfer, or equivalent stage if no embryos are created. Any remaining frozen embryos used subsequently are counted as new cycles. This may differ from other definitions of a cycle, including funding bodies.
For more information on other definitions used in the dashboard, please see the A-Z fertility glossary.
How can I customise the dashboard?
The dashboard can be filtered via the filter pane on the left side of each page (shown in the red box). The specific filters will vary depending on the page of the dashboard. The heat map visual (shown in in the blue box) can be used to filter by clinic nation and region, by clicking on specific areas. Multiple areas can be selected by CTRL + left click. You may reset all filters using the “Reset filters” button in the top right of the filter pane.
Please note that changing filters on one page will not change the filters on any other pages of the dashboard.
How do I cite the HFEA dashboard?
When sharing or licensing work created using the HFEA dashboard, you agree to do so according to HFEA Copyright guidelines. Please cite the dashboard as:
Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority. 2023. Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority Dashboard. Accessed on [YYYY-MM-DD].
How can I give feedback for the dashboard?
Please use this form to provide feedback for the dashboard.
How often will this data be updated?
The data powering the dashboard will be updated along with the publication of our Fertility Treatment report. This is typically published annually in spring/summer.
Why can’t I access more recent data?
Data is typically available two years following the initial treatment because of the time taken for treatment to happen, the duration of a pregnancy, and time needed for clinics to submit data and undergo subsequent validation exercises.
Where can I find clinic-level data?
Where can I find information on treatment add-ons?
We do not collect data on most treatment add-ons in our register. Information on add-ons is available on our treatment add-ons page.
Where can I find data on surrogacy treatments?
Data on surrogacy treatments can be found in the ‘IVF and ICSI’ dashboard page by clicking ‘Click to select more filters’. We collect limited data on surrogacy treatments, including intended parent(s) in surrogacy arrangements in certain specific situations. As such, this data has not been displayed on the dashboard.
Why is there no data on sperm freezing and donation cycles?
We do not collect data on sperm freezing or donation cycles on our register.
Where can I find information on genetic testing used in treatment?
Some information on genetic testing can be found in the IVF and ICSI dashboard page if you ‘click to select more filters’ on the lefthand side. Further information on genetic testing cycles (known as PGT-M) can be found in the underlying supplementary dataset of our Fertility treatment 2021: preliminary trends and figures report.
Where can I find information on embryo donor registrations?
Embryo donor registrations are recorded as both an egg and a sperm donor registration. Embryo donor registration data is included in the dashboard, although it cannot be viewed separately from egg and sperm donor registrations.
Where can I find data on the number of egg donation cycles?
This information can be found in the “All cycles” page in the dashboard. Use the “Treatment type” filter to selected egg/embryo donation cycles.
How are birth/pregnancy rates calculated in the dashboard?
All the success rates we quote in this dashboard are calculated as follows:
- Birth/pregnancy rate per embryo transferred: the number of live birth/pregnancy occurrences divided by the sum of embryos transferred in that year.
- Birth/pregnancy rate per treatment cycle: the number of live birth/pregnancy occurrences divided by the number of treatment cycles started.
For more information, please see our quality and methodology report.
Why does the data in the dashboard not match other HFEA data publications?
To ensure patient confidentiality, values less than eight have been suppressed as zero, and all other values have been rounded to the nearest five. Rates and percentages have been suppressed where the numerator is less than eight or the denominator is less than 78. These percentages have been calculated using numerators and denominators rounded to the nearest five. All data provided is drawn from a live register.
How can I find the underlying data table?
On each visual there is a “Click here to view in a table” button, which can be used to view the underlying data in a table format.
How can I view a visual in full screen?
By mousing over a visual and clicking the “Focus mode” icon (in the red box), you may view the individual visual in full screen.
Why is the dashboard not loading?
Some browsers may have trouble opening the HFEA dashboard, if this is the case, please reload the webpage in another browser.
Contact us regarding this publication
For media enquiries, please contact: email@example.com
For queries about the data, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
For queries about accessibility, please contact: email@example.com
Accessibility and keyboard navigation
The following buttons may be used to navigate the dashboard using a keyboard:
- Tab moves the focus between different objects, and Shift + Tab moves the focus in the reverse direction.
- Enter selects an object, such as a filter, slicer, graph or table, and Escape deselects it.
- The arrow keys may be used to navigate within selected objects.
- If a graph or a table is not working with your screen reader software, select it and press Alt + Shift + F11 in order to view the data in a simplified table.
Within the dashboard, the shortcut Shift + ? will display further keyboard controls, and further detail is available here.
Information on website accessibility can be found on our Accessibility statement page. If you require information from the dashboard in a more accessible format, or identify an accessibility issue, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
No information has been included in the HFEA dashboard that could identify an individual. Usage information is being collected in the HFEA dashboard, so that we may better understand what users want and better target our future data publication. In using this tool, you consent to our collecting of this information. For further details on the kinds of data collected within the dashboards, see here.
Review date: 7 February 2026