We're redesigning our website - we're keen for you to try it so we can hear your views on how it can be improved ahead of the official launch. Head on over to the HFEA BETA to see how it is shaping up.

Apply for information and re-register

Apply for information

Those who donated after 1 August 1991 are entitled to request information from the HFEA about the number, sex and year of birth of any people born as a result of their donation.  

If you decide to access information about your donor-conceived offspring, complete this form and send it with proof of identification and address to:

            Information team
            Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority
            10 Spring Gardens
            London SW1A 2BU

Back to top

Identification and proof of address

As part of the application process, you will be asked for proof of identification and address.

The HFEA accepts:


  • Valid passport
  • Birth certificate (if your name has changed since this was issued, you also need to submit deed poll documentation or a marriage certificate)
  • Valid full or provisional UK driving licence (photo card) 
  • Valid old style paper UK driving licence (pre-1998 containing your date of birth)

Address (dated within the last three months)

  • Utility bill
  • Council tax bill
  • Bank statement
  • Credit card statement
  • Payslip
  • NHS card

We can only accept original identity documents or copies that have been certified by a solicitor.

Back to top


What if I donated before 1 August 1991?

The HFEA only has a record of donors and births as a result of assisted reproduction from all licensed UK fertility clinics from 1 August 1991 onwards.

If you donated before 1 August 1991 or at an unlicensed clinic the HFEA will not hold details of children born as a result of your donation on its register.

There is, however, a voluntary organisation that helps facilitate contact between people affected by donation before 1991, called The Donor Conceived Register. The Donor Conceived Register was set up on 1 April 2013 to replace the UK DonorLink(UKDL) and facilitates contact between donors and their donor-conceived children conceived before 1 August 1991.

Further information

If you have any questions about applying to the HFEA for donor information, or would like further advice, email: openingtheregister@hfea.gov.uk

Back to top

Page last updated: 18 September 2013

HFEA e-updates

Get monthly updates on HFEA news, policy and guidance sent to your inbox.   

View the latest edition of the e-update 

...subscribe to e-updates