Apply for information about your donor
Before applying to find out information about your donor, think through how this knowledge could affect you.
You may find it useful to talk through your thoughts and feelings with family and friends before you make an application to the HFEA. There are a number of professional support groups ready to offer a helping hand as well.
Once you have had a chance to think about what it may mean to access information about your donor and/or donor-conceived genetic siblings from the HFEA, fill out the form below, attach a proof of identification and address and return it to:
Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority
10 Spring Gardens
London SW1A 2BU
- Application for information about your donor and/or donor-conceived genetic siblings (PDF 284 KB)
- Leaflet - Preparing to access non-identifying information about your donor and donor-conceived genetic siblings (PDF 272 KB)
Donor-conceived couples of any age, who intend to marry, can submit a joint application to the HFEA to discover whether they are genetically related to each other.
For more information, send an email to: email@example.com
Identification and proof of address
As part of the application process, you will be asked for proof of identification and address.
The HFEA accepts:
- Valid passport
- Birth certificate (if your name has changed since this was issued, you also need to submit deed poll documentation or a marriage certificate)
- Valid full or provisional UK driving licence (photo card)
- Valid old style paper UK driving licence (pre-1998 containing your date of birth)
Address (dated within the last three months)
- Utility bill
- Council tax bill
- Bank statement
- Credit card statement
- NHS card
We can only accept original identity documents or copies that have been certified by a solicitor.
Processing the application
Once the HFEA receives your request to access information about your donor and/or donor-conceived genetic siblings, the request will be processed as soon as possible.
First of all your proofs of identity and address will be returned to you by special delivery within five working days. The information you have requested will follow by special delivery as soon as possible - within a maximum of 20 working days.
If you have any questions about applying for donor information, or would like further advice, send and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Page last updated: 02 June 2015