Licence Committees and the Executive Licensing Panel
The Authority’s licensing process is governed by the provisions of sections 16 to 21 of the Human Fertilisation & Embryology Act 1990 (as amended).
From 1st October 2009, routine decisions on licensing will be taken by panel of three members of the Authority’s staff (“the Executive Licensing Panel”).
Complex matters, or applications which raise novel or controversial issues, will be referred to a Licence Committee composed of members of the Authority. Research applications will be considered by the members’ Licence Committee.
Executive Licensing Panel members
- Juliet Tizzard, Head of Policy and Communications (Chair)
- Mark Bennett, Director of Finance & Facilities (Deputy Chair)
- Nick Jones, Director of Compliance
- Hannah Verdin, Senior Policy Manager
- Ian Peacock, Analyst Programmer
- Rachel Hopkins, Head of Human Resources
- Paula Robinson, Head of Business Planning
- David Moysen, Head of Information Technology
- Joanne Anton, Policy Manager
- Matthew Watts, Regulatory Policy Manager
- Jessica Watkins, Policy Manager
Other nominated staff members may occasionally substitute for members of the panel, but not as Chair.
Licence Committee members
- Dr Andy Greenfield (Chair)
- Prof. David Archard (Deputy Chair)
- Rt Reverend Dr Lee Rayfield
- Ms Debbie Barber
- Ms Gemma Hobcraft
- Ms Jane Dibblin
Full details of decisions delegated to the Executive Licensing Panel and the Licence Committee are set out in an Instrument of Delegation.
Minutes from Licence Committee and Executive Licensing Panel meetings can be found with fertility clinic inspection reports:
Relevant committee documents and links
- Compliance and enforcement policy (pdf 192 Kb)
- Guide to licensing (pdf 63 Kb)
- Protocol for the conduct of meetings of the Executive Licensing Panel (pdf 170Kb)
- Protocol for the conduct of meetings of the Licence Committee (pdf 183Kb)
- Decision tree for use by Licence Committee & Executive Licensing Panel consideration of applications to grant or renew a licence (pdf 4 Mb)
- Conflicts of interest - Guidance for members and committee members (pdf 60Kb)
- Pre-implantation diagnostic testing (PGD) explanatory note for Licence Committee (pdf 61 Kb)
- Indicative Applications Guidance (pdf 73Kb)
- Indicative Sanctions Guidance (pdf 68Kb)
Page last updated: 17 January 2014