Licence Committee and the Executive Licensing Panel
The Authority’s licensing process is governed by the provisions of sections 16 to 21 of the Human Fertilisation & Embryology Act 1990 (as amended).
From 1st October 2009, routine decisions on licensing will be taken by panel of three members of the Authority’s staff (“the Executive Licensing Panel”).
Complex matters, or applications which raise novel or controversial issues, will be referred to a Licence Committee composed of members of the Authority. Research applications will be considered by the members’ Licence Committee.
Executive Licensing Panel members
- Juliet Tizzard, Director of Strategy and Corporate Affairs (Chair)
- Nick Jones, Director of Compliance and Information
- Hannah Verdin, Head of Regulatory Policy
- Ian Peacock, Analyst Programmer
- Rachel Hopkins, Head of Human Resources
- Paula Robinson, Head of Business Planning
- David Moysen, Head of Information Technology
- Joanne Anton, Policy Manager
Other nominated staff members may occasionally substitute for members of the panel, but not as Chair.
Licence Committee members
- Dr Andy Greenfield (Chair)
- Rt Reverend Dr Lee Rayfield (Deputy Chair)
- Ms Anita Bharucha
- Ms Kate Brian
- Mrs Margaret Gilmore
Full details of decisions delegated to the Executive Licensing Panel and the Licence Committee are set out in an Instrument of Delegation.
Minutes from Licence Committee and Executive Licensing Panel meetings can be found with fertility clinic inspection reports:
Licence Committee (considering representations) members
All clinics have a statutory right to make representations against certain licensing decisions. Where such a decision was made by the Licence Committee of Authority members (above), the representations are normally considered by a licence committee comprising the following members:
- Lady Margaret Wall
- Professor Helga Drummond
- Mr Bob Hughes
- Mr Trevor Jones
- Dr Mark Hamilton
Notices of the intention to hold such hearings in public are listed here:
There are no hearings currently scheduled.
Relevant committee documents and links
- Compliance and enforcement policy (pdf 180 KB)
- Protocol for the conduct of meetings of the Executive Licensing Panel (pdf 170KB)
- Protocol for the conduct of meetings of the Licence Committee (pdf 183 KB)
- Decision tree for use by Licence Committee & Executive Licensing Panel consideration of applications to grant or renew a licence (pdf 941 KB)
- Conflicts of interest - guidance for members and committee members (pdf 383 KB)
- Guidance on licensing (pdf 244 KB)
- Guide to licence applications and inspections (for Clinics)
Page last updated: 24 September 2015