HFEA press releases and statements
Latest HFEA press releases and statements
- New report shows IVF cycles are on the rise but few involve frozen eggs
Figures in our 2014 statistical report show a year on year increase in the number of IVF cycles, but the number of babies born from previously frozen eggs remains very low.
- Update on the Zika virus
Recent concerns about the Zika virus means fertility clinics should be extra vigilant when considering people for fertility treatment of gamete donation.
- HFEA approves licence application to use gene editing in research
Our Licence Committee has approved an application from Dr Kathy Niakan of the Francis Crick Institute to renew her laboratory’s research licence to include gene editing of embryos.
- World first as mitochondrial donation regulations come into force
Today the UK becomes the first country to license ground breaking mitochondrial donation techniques which will allow women who carry the risk of serious mitochondrial disease to avoid passing it onto their children.
- Lisa Jardine, former Chair of the HFEA, passes away
It is with immense sadness that we learn of the death of Professor Lisa Jardine, our former Chair, who died on 25 October after a long battle with cancer.
- HFEA publishes adverse incidents report 2014
The Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority’s new report on adverse incidents shows that the number of such incidents occurring in fertility clinics is reducing, but there is still more to do.
- Find out how we can help you by visiting us at the Alternative Parenting Show
We are pleased to be taking part in this weekend’s alternative parenting show on Saturday 19 September at the Grand Connaught rooms in London.
- Press statement regarding legal parenthood cases
The HFEA responds to the recent legal parenthood cases.
- IVF-related multiple birth rate down by a third since 2008
The proportion of multiple births resulting from IVF treatment has significantly reduced over the last five years according to a new report published today.
- Our Chair and Chief Executive visit one of the country’s largest fertility clinics
Staff at Guy’s and St Thomas’ fertility centre in London showcased their state of the art facilities to our Chair and Chief Executive Sally Cheshire and Peter Thompson.
Page last updated: 26 October 2015