Apply for information and re-register

Re-register as an identifiable donor

A man looking at information on the internetThose who donated sperm, eggs or embryos after 1 April 2005 are, by law, identifiable. Any person born as a result of donation after this time is entitled to request and receive their donor’s name and last known address, once they reach the age of 18. 

Donors who donated before 1 April 2005 are automatically anonymous. This means that donor-conceived people can only access non-identifying information provided by the donor at the time of donation.

As a donor, you have no legal rights to contact your donor-conceived offspring; the decision to initiate contact is solely that of the donor-conceived child.

Removal of anonymity

It is a right of those who donated before 1 April 2005 to choose to remove their anonymity – and potentially become identifiable to any children born from their donation. 

As a consequence of removing your anonymity, your donor-conceived offspring may choose to make contact with you once they reach the age of 18. The HFEA will try to contact you first using the details held on file to let you know that a request for your contact details has been made. Before making this decision, you may wish to consider how this could impact on you and your family. If you wish, you can ask to speak to a counsellor at the clinic you donated at to talk through the implications of re-registering as an identifiable donor.

Bear in mind that you may not be contacted by any donor-conceived offspring. This could be for a number of reasons, including the possibility that they do not know they are donor-conceived.

If you donate through an HFEA-licensed clinic, you will not be legally responsible for any child born as result of your donation. For more information see:


Back to top

Apply for removal of anonymity

If you donated before 1 April 2005, you can remove your anonymity.

If you wish to become an identifiable donor, please complete the application form and return to the address below:

Information team
Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority
Finsbury Tower
103-105 Bunhill Row
London EC1Y 8HF

Back to top

Identification and proof of address

As part of the application process, you will be asked for proof of identification and address.

The HFEA accepts:


  • Valid passport
  • Birth certificate (if your name has changed since this was issued, you also need to submit deed poll documentation or a marriage certificate)
  • Valid full or provisional UK driving licence (photo card and counterpart need to be submitted)
  • Valid old style paper UK driving licence

Address (dated within the last three months)

  • Utility bill
  • Council tax bill
  • Bank statement
  • Credit card statement
  • Payslip
  • NHS card

We can only accept original identity documents or copies that have been certified by a solicitor.

Back to top

Page last updated: 18 September 2013

Our approach to donation

HFEA logoGet an understanding of the HFEA's
decision making process.

Look at our past reviews on issues around donation.

...more about our approach

HFEA e-updates

Get monthly updates on HFEA news, policy and guidance sent to your inbox.   

View the latest edition of the e-update 

...subscribe to e-updates